Thursday, April 26, 2007

Barcelona

I'm not sure what to say about Barcelona. It was a beautiful city, but I couldn't enjoy it like I would have wanted to. Part of that was because my trip there was sort of a fiasco of progressively worse luggage problems to the point where I spent my last hours in the city carrying around my broken, open, suitcase looking for a place to buy a new one. The other part is loneliness. I felt similar about Barcelona to how I felt about Prague but in Prague I snapped out of it the second day and enjoyed my solitary travel experience like I always do. In Barcelona it stuck with me. I still enjoyed things. Like watching old people play bacci ball in the park across from the Segrada Famillia, and watching people sailing RC boats in a random park I walked by and ended up sitting in for a couple hours, but I did sort of wish I had someone to share it all with. I wished when I was walking down "the most famous street in Spain" that I had someone to turn to and say "what's with all the birds" (they have stands on the street that sell birds of all types), or someone to laugh with about the fact that they were playing Santa Clause is Coming to Town in the restaurant I ate dinner in the first night. I'm not sure if it's Barcelona or me. I mean I feel kind of like Barcelona is a city that needs to be shared, experienced with others, but it could just be that my travel fatigue was taking over and I needed someone to snap me out of it. Either way, I'll go back to Barcelona one day with friends so I can really enjoy it the way I'd like to because it really is a beautiful city.

1 comment:

J and B said...

I'm so sorry you didn't like Barcelona that much. A key to traveling alone is staying at youth hostels. I met fantastic people in Barcelona to drink with and share the experience. The best thing, when you want to be alone...you can get away vs. traveling with someone! Happy travels!