Thursday, March 8, 2007

Ain't Nothing Wrong With Robert Randolph

The title of this blog is taken from the lyrics to a song by Robert Randolph and the Family Band. So, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't write about their show last night at the Showbox.

First of all, it was impossible to get decent pictures because Robert Randolph and the Family band put on a really high energy show. In other words, they move around a lot, so much that even the flash doesn't help, though flash pictures are a waste of time at the Showbox because of the lighting there. Everything taken with a flash looks almost sepia toned. I did manage to get one decent picture though.

If you've never seen Robert Randolph and the Family band play live you're really missing out. A lot of bands are better live and that's certainly true in this case, but it's more than that. They are like a completely different band live. If you're familiar with their music you might not even recognize it in their live show. I wouldn't really classify them as a "jam band" but, they jam. A lot. And it's fantastic.

Having said that, I don't think the Showbox is the best venue for them. They need a bigger stage and, I think, an outdoor venue would suit them better. The first time I saw them they were opening for Drive by Truckers and the Black Crowes at the White River Amphitheater and that venue was great for them. In fact they totally stole the show, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to be sitting in, possibly, the best seat in the house at that show and, even though the audience was practically empty for the opening acts, it was still some of the best live music I've seen. Normally I think a large part of what makes live music so great is the energy of the audience, but Robert Randolph and the Family Band put out so much energy of their own that the audience energy is almost superfluous.

Now that I think back on that show at White River, I think not only do they need a bigger stage and an outdoor venue but they need daylight. While the atmosphere at the Showbox is great I don't think it suits them. I hope they come back in the summertime and play at the Gorge, or White River, or the Pier (are they bringing back Summer Nights at the Pier???), but even at the Showbox, even on such a small stage, they're still better than 90% of the other acts out there. If you get the chance to see them live, do it, you won't regret it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: