Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Essen und Trinken

I've been back home for a few days now and have indulged myself in one of the things I missed most: mole poblano enchiladas. So, it's time to start talking about the food in Europe. I've mentioned it briefly before and the gist is that some of the food was good but a lot of it wasn't that great. I did have one food experience that was surprisingly good though and that was black pudding.



As you might imagine, black pudding is the black bit in this photo, which, by the way, is a proper English breakfast (bacon, sausage, eggs, bubble and squeak, mushrooms, and black pudding). You probably don't want to know what's in the black pudding, especially if you plan on ever eating it, but trust me it's actually kind of good (and must have loads of iron which is nice for me as I have an iron deficiency).

In Ireland they served a proper Irish breakfast which also had white pudding. I suspect that the terms black and white pudding were just coined to avoid saying that the breakfast comes with all the above plus sausage, sausage, and sausage.

I had a couple of other really great food experiences in Europe. The tapas were good. Of course the best tapas I had were in Germany (at a really great Spanish restaurant called Alhambra) and Ireland, not in Spain. The curry was good in London. And there was one really great restaurant in Munich, just up the street from where I was living, that served all sorts of food and it was all fantastic. The best was this salad with goat cheese and pumpkin seeds.

What was really great in Europe was the beverages. The juice and tea in Spain. The whiskey in Ireland. The Pimms in London. The Jagermeister and, of course, the beer in Munich. I also have to add the tequila in Mexico to this list. Normally I hate tequila, but that tequila was really good.

No comments: