Friday, May 4, 2007

Fear of flying

Anyone who's taken a 7th grade science class knows the basic scientific method. First you formulate a theory and then you test it. Really test it. Not a test that's designed specifically to prove the theory but a really hard one. One that's practically designed to disprove the theory and if it doesn't disprove the theory, well, then it's a pretty solid theory.

Take my theory that 9 flights in a month and a half would cure my fear of flying by getting me so used to it that it would seem routine to me. The theory seemed pretty solid after 5 flights when I no longer needed to take Dramamine and by that 9th flight (all 10 hours of it) I was perfectly calm. The theory needed a test though and it got one.

What would you think would be the perfect, scientific method approved, test for this theory? Try putting me on the second smallest plane I've ever been on and flying me into a lightning storm.

You'll be happy to hear that the theory survived the test pretty well. I don't know that my fear is entirely conquered. My palms did get a little sweaty while flying through the lightning filled clouds over Puebla tonight; seeing the fires that I can only assume were started by the lightning. I didn't feel like I was going to puke though. So, I think I may finally be past the worst of my fear of flying.

No comments: